Friday, April 04, 2008

Leaving MRG

,,

Late last week, I gave notice to my employer, Multimedia Research Group (MRG), that I'll be leaving as soon as the Spring five-year Forecast is done, which will probably be before the end of April. It's never easy to leave a job, especially one that enabled me to return to Silicon Valley, and one in which the company's owner is a good friend with whom I've worked off and on for almost 20 years, but it's time to make a move.

There are three key reasons for me to move on. The first, and most important, is that MRG is a small company, and I need to increase my income. I recently got engaged, and the money that was sufficient for myself and two cats won't cut it for a family. The second reason is that the travelling that I've been doing has been exhausting. In the last fifteen months, I've visited London twice, Shanghai and Shenzhen, China on two separate trips, Singapore, Chicago, Boston, Amsterdam, Paris, Rio de Janeiro, and undoubtedly places that I've forgotten. It's harder for me to rebound than it was when I was travelling back and forth between California and Tokyo when I worked for Toshiba in the late 1980s.

My final reason is that I'd really like to get my hands dirty again with products or services, rather than just write and speak about what other people are doing. Analysts are observers--we sometimes consult one-on-one with clients, but we rarely have an integral role in defining or launching products.

I'll be representing MRG on a panel at the National Association of Broadcasters' convention in Las Vegas later this month, and I'll be continuing this blog. I'm "pursuing other opportunities," as the saying goes, so if you know of an opening, please let me know at lfeldman(at)feldmanfile.com.

No comments: