- Support free and low-cost spaying and neutering clinics: The single most important thing that pet owners can do to decrease the number of animals that are euthanized is to have their dogs and cats spayed and neutered. It should become something that's automatic for pet owners.
- Support no-kill shelters: An increasing number of shelters are adopting no-kill policies, but to do so is very expensive. No-kill shelters have limited space and resources, and often have to turn away pets because they have no more room. Many of these shelters take in dogs and cats from "kill" shelters that have potential, but will be euthanized unless they can be rescued.
- You give a loving dog or cat a good home,
- Your adoption fee will help to keep the shelter in operation, and
- By adopting a pet, you open a spot in the shelter so that another animal can be rescued.
Whether you contribute to a spay & neuter service or a no-kill shelter, or adopt a pet from a no-kill shelter (and encourage other shelters in your area to adopt no-kill policies), you'll make a big difference in the lives of countless dogs and cats.