Friday, September 17, 2010

A clarification of my Intel Sandy Bridge and Light Peak stories

I wrote two stories on Sandy Bridge, Intel's forthcoming Core architecture, and Light Bridge, Intel's new optical interconnection technology that will compete with USB 3.0, earlier this week. EETimes Magazine then reported that while Light Peak components will ship in 2010, systems using Light Peak probably won't be available until 2012, and I updated both posts. Unfortunately, I had Sandy Bridge on the brain when I made the changes, and wrote that Sandy Bridge systems won't be available until 2012. That's incorrect. Here are the facts as best I know them (today):
  • Sandy Bridge versions of Intel's Core i3, i5 and i7 processors will ship in Q1 2011, and systems using them should be available shortly after--certainly by the end of Q2 2011.
  • Light Peak components will ship some time in 2011, but Intel doesn't expect them to be integrated into systems until 2012.
Sorry for the confusion.
Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments: